Thursday, January 21, 2010

Broken Bow


Our family needed some refueling and reconnecting! Macie had a 4-day weekend, so we decided to go to Broken Bow, OK. We almost didn't go because of various issues, but I am so glad we did. Sara had suggested (insisted) that I watch Oprah the other day where Peter Walsh was on there helping a family reconnect. We didn't have the same issues as that family, but at the same time, it still hit home. John and I watched it together and (I) decided to make this family trip a reconnecting time. In the show, the family had to go without any tv, computers or cell phones for a certain period of time. So, even though we rented this luxury cabin with FOUR flat screen tvs, we decided (I decided and John agreed) no tv all weekend. Except for the Cowboy playoff game, which I think John wishes he missed. But, anyway, can you believe we did it? In the show, the family was also given 4 other rules to live by. At the end, the family tweaked the rules for something that would work for them. We used this model and came up with our own 5 rules.


We also read through Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I was always kinda reluctant to read his stuff and John was too. But, we needed something and several people reccmended this. It was a great book! We are going to be putting his ideas into place in the coming month.


I really hope we can stick to all of our little "resolutions" we made this weekend.


So, here are some glimpses of our weekend. It was really fun and I highly reccomend going. We ended up staying an extra night because we loved our cabin so much. Ha! It was a splurge, no doubt. We will have to figure out in our new money makeover how we can do it again though!






We were greeted by this cat at our cabin. At first, we thought it was wild. Obviously, it was not. But, I don't think it had an owner. I was totally going to bring her home! I think I could have convinced John, don' t you? But, she was gone the next day after our bike ride.

This was in our backyard. Blury picture. We roasted hot dogs. Girls got too cold, so we had to do the smores on the inside fireplace.




Picnic in Beavers Bend State Park. Beavers Bend park has rolling rivers with trout fishing and rock throwing, a big beautiful lake, hiking trails, a museum and massive network of ATV trails. There is camping too, but the nearby abundance of "luxury cabins" are just too fun!



We tried a few off-road trails, but bikes with passengers just aren't made for mountain biking. We took these roads through the state park campgrounds. No one was there. We saw a bunch of deer. It was beautiful and fun.





The front of our cabin.

The above 3 photos were all taken with the self timer. We were pretty proud of ourselves. Ha!

All that fun stuff to do, and all Macie and Maris needed was a bucket and some rocks and plants.
Our cabin also had a hot tub. We all enjoyed that every night too. It was chilly outside and it felt great. I usually don't like em and I thought Macie and Maris would hate it. But, I was wrong!
So, have I convinced anyone to go any time soon? If so, let me know, because we left our pack n play there and I want it back! Ha!






4 comments:

Sara Moon said...

oh my gosh i'm gonna cry. your whole post was just wonderful, steph. remember the pictures i took of yall at galveston and i could see the lack of connection in the pictures? I SEE THE CONNECTION AGAIN AND I AM NOT LYING!!!!!!!!!!! sooooo thrilled and YES I want to go next weekend!!
and i want to read the total money makeover too!

Sara Moon said...

oh my gosh i'm gonna cry. your whole post was just wonderful, steph. remember the pictures i took of yall at galveston and i could see the lack of connection in the pictures? I SEE THE CONNECTION AGAIN AND I AM NOT LYING!!!!!!!!!!! sooooo thrilled and YES I want to go next weekend!!
and i want to read the total money makeover too!

Sharla said...

Hey girl, I found you!!! You can come visit me at http://dfwgreenbeans.blogspot.com/, and my craft blog at http://www.greenbeanthings.blogspot.com/

Clarissa said...

Beautiful and wonderful and inspiring and hopeful and exciting. Y'all look so relaxed and happy!! Sounds like y'all had an incredible time! i wanna hear about your 5 rules!!