Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Day of School




We survived the first week of school! Macie has enjoyed it. I was surprised that she wasn't just completely exhausted when she got home. On Thurs, I was talking to another mom and she said she thought her daughter was running on adrenaline and she was waiting for the crash. I laughed and thought, that was a possibility. We had been walking to and from school, but this day I decided to drive and then go to Sonic for drinks. On the way, we drove by Nature School. Macie casually said, "There's my old school. I miss Ms. Terry." Then, she started bawling her head off! She cried and cried. Poor thing, I couldn't even hug her cuz we were driving. (She climbed up to the front when we got to Sonic). Later that day, our whole family was in the car (on the way to the Cowboys blue and white practice game at new stadium) and I commented to John that I was proud of Macie for not having her pin moved in class. She then said "I almost got my pin moved today." I asked her why and she started bawling again. Through her sobs she said: "I love my mommy and daddy too much to tell them this news." She got that from a book we had from the library before school started called "The Bad News Report Card". It was funny, but sad all at the same time. She was just exhausted. What wonderful parents to drag her off to the Cowboys thing. Anyway, we never did find out what she did to almost get her pin moved. Friday after school, we had a bunch of her friends from church and the neighborhood who go to her school, over to play on the big water slide. Everyone had a great time. So tomorrow starts a new week. I think she will do fine.
As for me, I am handling it well. The neighbor has offered to take her to school in the morning. I am secretly very glad that Macie wanted me to take her last week. She has to wait in the cafeteria until her teacher comes out and takes the class back. She was in their with 5th graders! Gasp. But, next week , I think it will just be 1st grade. She told the neighbor tonite that she would walk with them tomorrow. I may try to weasel my way in just one more week. But, on the positive side, I did get the carpets cleaned in Macie's room and my room and the hallway. This week: closets watch out!
I have to say that these pictures are not the best in the world. We were running late of course. I still remember exactly my first day of kindergarten picture. Sorry Macie. This is yours! The second one was taken in her classroom. Oh, and by the way, I have to say that neither the backpack nor the lunch box would have been my choice. I really tried to get her to choose a cute flower or butterfly, non-character lunch box. (The backpack is from last year and a long story). But, then I thought, I had a Strawberry Shortcake lunch box and a Holly Hobby. So, who am I to deprive her? And, what difference does it make anyway? I think I would have drawn the line at Hannah Montana, but thankfully, that did not come up.

4 comments:

Tina said...

What does that mean "have her pin moved"?

Stephanie said...

Ha! Having her pin moved means she gets in trouble. They move their pin from the green plate to the yellow and then to the red if they are really acting up.

Sara Moon said...

What a fun update! All the crying outbursts from Macie sound like her getting her stress out. This was a big change for her! All day every day away from home...but sounds like she did GREAT and so did you! What a good mama.

Clarissa said...

Such a big girl!! Poor thing dealing with all these transitions! It's a HUGE thing, but it sounds like y'all are totally taking it like champs! Hooray! She's hilarious with the "news"! I used to do the moving the color thing--i had cards, not pins. Remember Mrs. Cunningham and her 'demerit' system that freaked michelle out?? ha! Anyway, give her big hugs and let her know i'm proud of her. i'll try to call this week--honest!!