Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homeschooling!

Never ever ever EVER thought I would be homeschooling.  But, here we are, about a month into it.  I probably won't update this at all regularly, but since this is a trial thing, I thought I should somehow keep track of the ups and downs.  Why not here on my little blog?

So far, I say it is going great.  I still feel like I can't fit everything in and I know I need to do some things different, but overall it is going well.  I just take it day by day.

Yesterday, we went for a walk.  First, we had gone outside at Maris's suggestion to work on our projects at hand:  water coloring book for Maris, spelling for Macie.  Then, I took the opportunity to use the driveway and do some form drawing exercises.  That digressed into chalk drawing and hopscotch.  I was still OK with that b/c hopscotch is an important part of Macie's PT stuff.  Now to the walk....  I decided to have Macie practice her numbers in Spanish while we walked.  She has 1-10 down  and has for years.  But it is 11 up that is not so great.  I was about to yell and scream (thankfully, I did not.. an amazing thing for me) but I held in my frustration that she COULD NOT remember 11 to save her life.  Or 20 or 14.  But, anyway.  The walk ended.  We went on with school.  Later that day, I was drilling Macie with addition flash cards.  About 1/4 way into it, she started answering in SPANISH!  Even 11!!  Not 20, but that is OK.  So, WOW.  It is small victories like that that make me feel like it is going well.  And, I can forgive myself a little for letting the rest of the day lead me, rather than feel like I am in control of it.

Victory #2  (or positive #2):

Today, after we dropped Maris off at her Nature School class, Macie and I went for a walk thru the park.  We saw two bobcats!!!  We watched them climb down to the river and get a drink, hide in the grass and stalk something in the river bed.  It was really cool!



Bye for now!

1 comment:

Shara said...

Lesson learned.... a little patience has big rewards! Go Macie! Mui bien! Sounds like home schooling is working out good for all. Proud of you and the girls for keeping it together!